FAQ's Reporting Fraud

Do Not report suspected mortgage fraud to GREFPAC. GREFPAC is an educational organization; it does not investigate or gives legal advice or opinions. Do not send files or information to GREFPAC for review.

How do I report suspected mortgage fraud?
You should prepare a summary report of facts, names, and important information with supporting documents to provide to law enforcement and authorities. The Georgia Residential Mortgage Fraud Statute empowers all citizens (not just lenders) to file SARS (Suspicious Activity Reports) and criminal complaints of mortgage fraud.

You should prepare a written statement describing the mortgage fraud. This statement should include as much information as you have, including a description of the fraud, the names and any contact information for those involved, and the amount of your loss. Attach copies of any related documents you may have, including the promissory note and deed to secure debt (mortgage), the HUD-1, the appraisal, any newer appraisal, the listing agreement, etc. and other relevant documents.

Where do I report suspected mortgage fraud?
Report to State and/or Federal Law Enforcement:
Since the Georgia Residential Mortgage Fraud Statute was enacted in 2005, law enforcement authorities at the county and state levels all have jurisdiction to investigate mortgage fraud.

At a city/county level, you may report mortgage fraud to county investigators (police, sheriff’s office, district attorney offices) in the county where the residential property involved is located, the county in which the closing occurred, or the county in which fraudulent documents were filed.

Where you report, depends upon your particular city or county. You should start by contacting the detective unit for white collar crime/mortgage fraud in the appropriate county or city police department. The police department will direct you from there.